Monthly Archives: October 2011
Here is a calculator for your BMI, I actually would only say this is a very basic guide as it doesn’t reflect a person who has been working out a lot.
BMI Calculator - http://www.womenshealthandfitness.com.au/body-mass-index
Energy Counter - http://www.womenshealthandfitness.com.au/energy-counter
Here are some of the songs I love for working out. These song are great for different reasons but they all motivate me to workout harder and/or faster in one way or an other. Please comment on some of your favourite workout tunes.
Eye of the Tiger
Get Ready for This
I Love Rock and Roll
You Shook Me All Night Long
In Da Club
Just a Lil Bit
I Want it All
Ok so this is not what I have written and I will give you the link for the whole blog.
This list is great, you have to find what motivates you, for some people it will be a picture of a hot person others it is quotes they like to remember or music they like to listen to. It can also be a mixture of things.
31 Ways to Motivate Yourself – Entire blog
- How you feel after a workout. I always feel great after a good workout. It’s a high. And I let that motivate me the next time: “You know how good you’re going to feel, Leo!”
- Time for you. While many people make time to take care of others (kids, spouse, other family, co-workers, boss), they don’t often make time to take care of themselves. Instead, make your “you” time a priority, and don’t miss that exercise appointment.
- Calories burned. If you count calories (and it’s really one of the most effective ways to lose weight), you know that the more you exercise, the more calories you burn — and the bigger your calorie deficit.
- Having fun. Exercise should be fun. If it isn’t, try a different kind of activity that you enjoy. As long as you’re moving, it’s good for you.
- How you’re going to look. Imagine a slimmer, fitter you. Now let that visualization drive you.
- Magazines. It motivates me to read fitness magazines. Not sure why, but it works.
- Cover models. Sure, they’re genetically freaky, and probably Photoshopped to look perfect. But for some reason, looking at how good a cover model looks helps motivate me to work harder.
- Blogs. I enjoy reading blogs about people who are into running, or losing weight. It can show the ups and downs they go through, and you can learn from their experiences.
- Success stories. I find the success stories of others incredibly inspirational. If a fitness website has success stories, I’ll almost always read them.
- Forums. Do the monthly challenge on the Zen Habits forums, or join another forum full of like-minded or like-goaled peopled. Check in daily. It really helps.
So here is some great exercises for you to work on, these are easy for people who want to start at home first.
There are many exercises and only limited to your imagination. Here are a few that I do on a regular basis.
There are heaps of different lunges here is a couple
Leg Fire Hydrant
You either hate or love working on abs, for me it seems to depend on the day. I am always pleased I did them after though. So here are a few for you to try. Remember it is so very important to warm up and stretch.
Exercise Bike Crunch
Captain’s Chair Leg raises
Stability Ball (swiss) Crunches
Reverse Ball Crunch
Single Leg Bridge Crunch
Vertical Leg Crunch
Long Arm Crunch
Cross Over Crunch
Seated Oblique Twists with Medicine Ball
Many people are unsure of how to do the weights exercises and that causes embarrassment hence not going to the gym. I have put together a few videos that I agree with. Remember always start with less weights in the beginning because correct form is more important, you can always increase your weights later on.
I like to do this exercise either on a flat bench or on an exercise ball. If you are just starting I would suggest starting either on the floor or on the bench, I started on the bench.
Incline Chest Press
This is nearly the same as above, however it does work slightly different muscles. Compared to the example video below I actually go much slower, as I push out I count to 4 and then releasing back down I count to 4 again. I do this for nearly all my weight routines.
OK I am going to put it out there now, I suck at push ups, so I am trying to work on them myself. I don’t like to be defeated. I have put a couple of different push ups for people of all different levels.
Free Weights/dumbell Row
I love these
Most of the time people workout what they can see, it is very important to workout the entire body.
Make sure you start with smaller weights, also make sure that you increase your repetitions then increase the weight as you become better. I actually do these on the swiss ball.
These are not difficult and are a great in-between exercise.
These are seen in the movies all the time, however most of the time they are not being done correctly in the movie, funny how that happens.
Kick Backs and Triceps Extensions
These help to get rid of the tuck shop arms
I love doing these, they are easy to do incorrectly though.
These are a few to get you going. I will add more over time. Enjoy.